10.31.2011

Scones + Cider

 Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf
(With cat-like ears and a doggie nose- William's costume was not very clear, but Eliza's red cape cleared things right up:))

 Totally loving trunk or treat.
To me, Halloween is scones +  cider in my parent's garage. Seeing my nieces and nephews all dressed up. Catching up with friends from many many years. I remember how  outwardly excited my Dad  would get about organizing everything, the pesky extension cords, honey on the floor (still a problem!), garbage cans, and pouring the cider.  On Halloween I would have rather stayed home from school to help my Mom make dough for hundreds than stay for the festivities. All through the years our family has carried on this tradition. Consistently many of the same people come. Through hard years and the best of years my Mom stands in her garage cutting and rolling out dough, frying scones for complete strangers and old friends. It is funny I can get so gushy about this Halloween tradition- but it's a huge metaphor to me of my parents and the way they raised me. It is one of the things I get most sad about missing, but no worries- my brother's always lighten my sadness pretty quickly when I ask them how it went.

5 comments:

  1. SOOO darling Sarah! What beautiful kids and cute costumes! We will be in Utah over Christmas and hope to see you. Otherwise, we will have to make the drive! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kids look adorable!! And I can totally picture your sweet mom making all those scones! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is halloween to me too! we had the life when we were little - trick or treating all night and then enjoying scones at your cute millcreek way house. we took wells out this year and people in texas literally give out one tootsie roll. i mean come on. i talked about the scones all night. i'm sure they were delicious as ever this year, tear. hope to see your soon!

    ps - can i just say that i wish were just a bit closer. matt has a terrible week this week with work and yesterday i honestly thought about driving up to missouri alone. maybe i still should?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i talk to matt about the scones every single halloween. we need to stop by next year! you're right, halloween isn't the same without them. your kids costumes are the cutest things in the world. classy halloween costumes make me happy because they simply don't exist. :) our family talks about your blog on a daily basis...it's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought of you on Halloween. I love telling my family about your tradition- it is so great! Your kids are so so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Archive